gh-link eCommerce is the electronic platform provided by GhIPSS which enables businesses, service providers, government agencies etc to offer their goods or services on the internet and receive payments from domestic (gh-link) ATM cards. All transactions occur in Ghana cedi. gh-link eCommerce has two components. They are:
- The Internet Payment Gateway (IPG)
- The 3D secure platform
COMPONENT OF gh-link eCOMMERCE
The gh-link Internet Payment Gateway (IPG) is an ecommerce application/system on which internet merchants are setup to enable them receive payments from gh-link ATM cards. It facilitates the transmission of transaction information (e.g. Card details, amount etc.) to and responses from issuing banks (such as whether a transaction is approved or declined). It is the equivalent of a physical point of sale terminal located in a shop.
The gh-link IPG will provide all its merchants with an MPI (merchant plug-in) to enable them enforce cardholder authentication on the 3Dsecure platform.
3DSecure is an online cardholder authentication technology.
3D Secure requires online shoppers to enter a unique password for example to help authenticate the identity of the cardholder at the time that the purchase is made.
It is an important fraud prevention measure that can help to stop fraudulent transactions being made over the internet using stolen card details.
The use of the 3D secure platform will be mandatory for all Issuers on the gh-link network.
All ATM cards to be used on gh-link eCommerce will be required to register for this service.
BENEFITS OF gh-link eCOMMERCE
- » Offering their goods or services online gives a business the opportunity to be open 24hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year. Each page on a web store is a sales person who doesn´t need to go on leave!!
- » Very low running costs to keep an ecommerce store open for business compared to a brick and mortar store.
- » Opportunity to reach new markets. A business put online can attract new customers (ATM card holders) beyond one´s territory or geographical location.
- » Keep Eye on Consumers´ Buying Habit: One of the benefits of ecommerce is that businesses can easily keep a constant eye on consumers´ buying habits and interests to tailor special offers to suit their requirements leading to long-lasting relationships
- » Easy & Convenient shopping: For many people in Ghana eCommerce has become one of the preferred ways of shopping as they enjoy the ease and convenience it offers with their ATM card. It also offers customers the luxury of buying products or services from their home at any time of day or night.
- » Easy Price Comparison: Ecommerce provides consumer s an easier option to compare prices of items from different online stores and make their preferred choice
- » gh-link eCommerce can help government to deliver and receive payment for selected services online at reduced cost and in an improved way.
- » gh-link eCommerce can bring about transparency in government collections / receipts and give government quicker access to funds, because funds collected electronically will hit government accounts directly.
- » Ecommerce can expand the economy by creating jobs in shipping / courier / logistics etc
- » Ecommerce can help reduce a country´s carbon footprint since customers need not to travel to shop thereby reducing vehicular traffic and air pollution.
All prospective merchants to join the gh-link eCommerce Platform must have their application sponsored by a financial institution (FI); typically where they keep a business account.