The Ghana Interbank Payment and Settlement Systems Limited is a subsidiary of the Bank of Ghana which was set up in 2007 with the following mandate:
- To set up and operate the National Switch with smartcard payment System and the provision of smartcard services
- To manage the Cheque Truncation system
- To operate an Automated Clearing House (GACH) for direct debit and direct credit
- To operate a help desk to assist the payment system in general
- GhIPSS responsibility is to manage, develop and promote these systems on an ongoing basis.